It’s tax time!
Yes, it’s that time of year again, when Americans everywhere are rushing to file their income taxes from the previous year before the deadline. Master Lock has a whole array of products and ideas for helping people avoid chaos and frustration as they file and store their vital financial records.
Check out their tips for getting organized for a quick, easy tax filing process:
1. Request electronic copies of your tax forms. Many employers offer employees the option to receive their W-2 forms electronically, instead of by mail. By eliminating the risk of postal delays or missed deliveries, this ensures that your W-2 will be delivered securely as soon as it is available. Plus, faster W-2s can mean faster tax returns.
2. Securely store documents online. Avoid the mess of a mound of paperwork by storing — and organizing — all of your tax-related documents online. By utilizing a free, secure service such as the Master Lock Vault (www.masterlockvault.com) you’ll have easy access to all of your files wherever you are and help ensure that none of your paper documents will ever be lost, misplaced, stolen or damaged. Not only can you upload PDF forms, but you can upload photos from your phone of important receipts and expenses for your records. All data is instantly synchronized between the website and the App. Bonus: securely store log-in information for your bank accounts and tax filing site in the Vault so you’ll never have to worry about forgetting your username or password.
3. Think taxes year-round. Don’t wait until you’re ready to file your taxes to start collecting and organizing the supporting documents you’ll need to complete your return. Avoid the scramble by capturing and uploading a digital image of your receipt each time you pay the babysitter or have a tax deductible transaction, fill a prescription at the pharmacy, or make a charitable contribution such as dropping off a clothing donation to your local thrift store.
4. Opt for direct deposit. If you’ve done everything else online, why request a hard-copy check when it comes time to claim your refund? When combined with electronic filing, direct deposit is the fastest way to get your refund. If you’re on the other side of the spectrum and find that you owe taxes, opt to pay online and you can avoid the long tax-season lines at the post office.
5. Call for help. Sometimes, outside advice is necessary, and you can now get the help you need without leaving home. Based on the complexity of your question, there are a variety of resources to turn to. For example, the IRS offers a toll-free hotline for tax questions during weekdays. Several tax-prep software providers also offer guidance via online forums or on their social media feeds.
I was given a Master Lock Storage Security Box to use and review. Here’s how I’m using mine:
Our family has owned a small fire-proof locked box for several years, but we’re starting to outgrow it as our family grows and our needs change. I have quite a few important paper documents that I need assurance will be safe and secure should an emergency arise or a disaster take place. I try to be prepared for all kinds of situations, and protecting my family’s records is just one of the ways to do this.
This Master Lock Storage Security Box (7148D) is made of durable steel, is fire safe, and is perfect for storing documents in an organized and safe way. It comes with two keys to keep your items secure. I feel so much better knowing that items such as our Passports, tax records, birth certificates, insurance information, and end of life documents are stored safely and in such a way that we can easy access them. The Storage Security Box retails for $21.99. Check and see where you can buy it in a local store!
Master Lock is offering a sweepstakes opportunity for you! You have a chance to win one of five $1,000 prizes when they register for a Vault account as part of the Master Lock “Tax Relief Rewards” Sweepstakes.
Disclosure Statement: I was sent a free Master Lock Storage Security Box for my review. I received no other compensation for this post but they did provide me with their tips for tax filing!